Library Assistant II– Circulation and Government Documents
一道本不卡免费高清Library Assistant II– Circulation and Government Documents
Carl S. Swisher Library
This position is one of four positions that are responsible for all service and clerical duties required in the operation of the library’s circulation desk as a public service to students, faculty, and other users. In the absence of a professional librarian, library assistants have the responsibility for the library during operating hours. This position is also responsible for processing U.S. and state of Florida government documents and assists in maintaining the documents collections.
Essential Job Duties
- Learns the circulation module of the library’s automation system in order to provide maximum quality service to library users.
- Staffs the circulation desk; assists other staff in supervising the library; explains policies and procedures; checks out and checks in all circulating and reserve materials.
- Works with the user in solving problems relating to circulation policies and procedures; recommends changes to circulation policies and procedures when necessary.
- Provides limited assistance to library clients on the use of the automated catalog and indexes in both electronic and paper formats; directs users in locating materials; provides assistance with equipment to users; refers questions beyond training to a professional librarian.
- Assists in the training and supervision of student assistants in shelving of materials and shelf-reading; assumes responsibility for maintaining the order and appearance of the circulation collection and all areas of the library.
- Records statistics as necessary.
- Performs opening procedures including preparing the equipment and facilities for the day when working the morning shift or weekend shift; closes the library and secures the building including shutting down equipment and the facilities for the night when working the evening or weekend shift.
- Responsible for the library in the absence of a librarian, which includes notifying Campus Security in case of problems or the need to evacuate the building during an emergency.
- Becomes familiar with the purpose and routine of other areas of public services; relieves personnel in these areas when needed.
- Reports in writing unusual incidents or violations of regulations to the Circulation Services Manager or other professionals on duty or to the Director of the Library.
- Receives, processes, and maintains documents received through the Federal Depository Library Program of the U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Expected to maintain a basic working knowledge of depository requirements in Chapter 19 of the United States Code (44 USC 592).
- Receives, processes, and maintains documents received from the State Documents Depository Programs and the Florida Department of State.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Computer skills; typing skills of at least 35 wpm with accuracy more important than speed; customer service skills.
- Organization skills.
- Willingness to maintain skills through active participation in continuing education opportunities.
- Primarily indoor office environment.
- Afternoon and evening hours with the flexibility of staying late or arriving early when necessary during the day or weekend. Generally the schedule is Sunday – Thursday.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and/or materials weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach.
- Must by able to use a computer keyboard and other office/library equipment.
- Must have vision to read print on paper or on screen.
- Must have hearing to communicate in person or on the phone.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- High school diploma with the ability to learn various software programs and the library’s circulation module.
Minimum Work Experience
- Previous experience in a public setting dealing with customers.
- Some college/university education; some library experience. Previous experience working with a federal or state documents collection.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Interested applicants, please submit resume, JU staff application, and cover letter to email@example.com.